Tourism in Beiuș

Tourism in Beiuș

"Beiuş – the Geothermal City" project was launched in 2009 and a development platform through spa tourism was constituted. Beiuș is the western starting point for the main tourist areas to the Apuseni Mountains ( Padiș Karst Plateau, Bears Cave - Chişcău, Stana de Vale, Vârtop - Arieseni).

The Town´s Festivity Day is celebrated on April the 19th, the date of the city liberation by the Romanian Army troops in 1919.

Today, Beiuş is a peaceful place, combining few ethnicities and three times as many religions as in previous times. The city contains superb architectural edifices, including a few old churches and the "Samuil Vulcan" highschool, built in 1828, which obtained the "National College" designation in 1998. The city is a key point in reaching the Apuseni Mountains and their rich mines, or mountain resorts like Stâna de Vale or Arieșeni through smaller but picturesque communities and villages like Budureasa or Vascǎu. The nearby mountains are hosts to some of the most dense and spectacular limestone cave systems in the world. These caves contain remains of the extinct cave bear (Ursus speleus) and prehistoric humans, huge colonies of bats, subterranean lakes, striking calcareous formations and giant earthworms that live in the guano-flooded cave floor.

Beiuş has its own city museum which houses over 3,000 pieces. The museum exhibits reflect its natural history, military history and art, but most famous are its folkloric artifacts: peasant tools, pottery, garments and folk art gathered from the entire central and southern county of Bihor. The underground tunnels in the city are also famous, as they are believed to link together and act as escape routes used during the Medieval Age. Their construction began during the rule of Hungarian king Bela IV. The nearby landscape includes: agricultural hills with crops ranging from corn, wheat and potato to fruit orchards like apple, pears, plums and strawberries. A long stretch of wildlife depleted forest that is rich in flora begins in the north-east of the city. Industry is represented mainly through production of furniture and fashion destined for European markets. The nearby distillery and beverage factory of Sudrigiu also employs a large part of the city's labour force.

Available or popular sports in or around Beiuş are: fresh water fishing (trout, catfish, carp, barbel chub dace and at least a dozen other edible species), speleology (spelunking), soccer (Sunday soccer is a local ritual for all ages), skiing, snowboarding, sledding, tennis, hiking, camping, backpacking and rock climbing. Hunting for species like: wild boar, roe deer, rabbit, pheasant, dove, partridge or ducks (mainly mallards) is also popular.


Ancient traces of habitation from the Paleolithic were found throughout Beiuşului depression in the caves of Chişcău , Sighiştelului Valley, Recaş, Meziad, Câmpani. On the Petranilor Stone and at Meziad fortified Neolithic settlements have been found. Ancient traces of habitation from the Paleolithic were found throughout Beiuşului depression in the caves of Chişcău , Sighiştelului Valley, Recaş, Meziad, Câmpani.

Nearby Beiuş we can find Stana de Vale, Pietroasa, Padiş, Sighiştelului Valley.

The Second World War Romanian heroes monument. The monument was rised at the initiative of the veterans of the Second World War, at the foot of a hill near Beiuş. It commemorates the battles fought for the liberation of the city in the autumn of 1944. The monument is distinguished by its simple form and its impressive massiveness. The square pedestal, made out of concrete, a stone column stands, decorated with white marble, being 5 m high. The top has a specific military decoration. A message is carved in the middle of the column.

The Romanian Greek Catholic St. Dumitru Church, built at the end of the eighteenth century, consecrated in 1800 by Bishop Ignatius Darabant ( from 1948 the headquarters of an Orthodox parish)

The Orthodox Church from up the Hill, dedicated to St. Archangels Michael and Gabriel (1784-1790), built at the expense of the colonies of Greek and Macedonians merchants.

The buildings of "Samuil Vulcan" High School, the Pedagogical School, the Romanian Casina.

The Roman Catholic Church (sec. XVIII)

The ruins of a medieval church (1413)

The Reformed Church (1782)

Entertainment areas

Delani Forest, Crișul Negru Valley and Nimăieşti Valley, the open-air bath